Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Fantasy, The Hope, The Dream

The OBSESSION!!!!

Yes, obsession it is becoming. Why? It is not such a big endeavour. I don't talk about it much. I do daydream about it. I night dream about it. I think about it on the short drive to work. It isn't even a given that I could qualify. Being 46 years old in 2 weeks, I have to run a 3:30 marathon. That is an 8 minute pace. sure, I can run an 8 minute mile. I could probably eke out close to a 6:15 or 6 minute mile. 

But just one.
Then the heavy panting.
And fighting back the feeling of puking.

Here is what I need - 
Mile time dropping to 6:15 consistently, more easily.
I can do a 5k in the low 27's. That needs to drop to 21:30. 
10k in 45. Haven't done one in years.
My half marathon need to drop 36 minutes - next test here is the Indy half.
And of course my marathon time is at 4:55. A huge 85 minute drop. A 3:16 per mile drop.

Based on my last year Indy half in 2:16:45, marathonguide.com has my calculated times as:

5K 0:29:26
5M 0:48:36
10K 1:01:40
10M 1:41:48
Half Marathon 2:16:45
Marathon 4:46:24

My last marathon time is close based on these calculations. Anchorage is a hilly course and the last few miles were difficult. But I have timed myself on a 200 meter indoor track several times. My 5k times are lower than predicted above. 

I have run three timed 5k's in 27:30. Based on that I get a 2:07 half and a 4:27 full. On Saturday (April 11) we will see if this is accurate at the Illinois marathon. I will also test this on May 2 (Indy half). 

If I meet these calculations, and I believe I can, then I may have to turn this fantasy fully into a HOPE.

1 comment:

  1. Honey, you can do whatever you set your mind to. I know you've really put a lot of thought into the possibility of the Boston...now you just have to look to the goal and make it happen.

    ReplyDelete